15 February 2021
Build UK members contribute to latest updates to Construction H&S and Environmental Manuals
Build UK continued its work with Construction Industry Publications (CIP) throughout 2020 to ensure the Construction Health & Safety (H&S) and Environmental manuals include industry recognised health, safety and environmental policies and standards. To this end, CIP works with both Build UK Contractor and Trade Associations Members, including the CPA and ASUC.
This integrated approach aims to improve the knowledge and practices of those on site without duplicating information or publishing conflicting advice.
Build UK partner Construction Industry Publications (CIP) is offering all Build UK members an exclusive 30% discount (excludes the six monthly updates) on its online combined Construction Health & Safety and Environmental Manual CIP Knowledge www.cip-knowledge.com, and also on hardcopies and CDROMs.
The latest updates include:
Health and Safety Manual
- The inclusion of a new section on the use of technology to assist when working in the proximity of overhead lines in the Overhead and Underground Services
- A new section entitled ‘Basement Construction’ courtesy of the ASUC.
- Additional guidance on the organisational considerations when looking to build employees resilience to prevent and better manage mental ill-health.
- An updated Welding and Cutting
- New guidance on the use of mobile devices on site.
- A new section has been added describing the concept of Social Value, its delivery through construction projects, measurement and reporting of its benefit.
- An updated Contaminated Land section including additional information provided on risk assessments and on remediation treatments together with general amendments throughout. A Site Investigation Checklist has also been added.
- Various amendments to the Waste section have been made consequent upon the transposition of the amended EU Waste Directives into UK law as the Circular Economy Package.
Neil Rosiak, Member of the Drafting Panel and HSE Director of Build UK member Interserve Construction, said:
“For good practical up to date advice on health and safety matters, the Construction H&S Manual is a must for everyone involved in construction. Working with Build UK will ensure it is even more relevant on a day-to-day basis as the ‘go to’ source of information for all things health and safety. It will also keep the manual up to date with industry practices and provide the more collaborative approach we all want.”
Details of subscription prices for CIP Knowledge, which start from £270 per annum for a single user, can be found here. Build UK members can claim their 30% discount using the promotional code ‘BUILDUK’. Build UK members also have the opportunity to take out a free one month’s trial of the online version by registering on the CIP Knowledge website.