7 October 2019
Site Registration Now Live For Open Doors 2020
From today (Monday 7 October) registration for employers to take part in Open Doors 2020 officially opens.
Open Doors Week aims to inspire more people into the construction industry by letting them go ‘behind the scenes’ to discover the diverse and rewarding range of career paths the industry has to offer, as well as changing people’s perceptions of construction.
Companies can take part by registering a site and opening their doors to the public from Monday 16 March to Saturday 21 March. This year Open Doors is looking to encourage a diverse range of sites across Great Britain to open, and the offices, factories and workshops that all play an integral role in helping the industry thrive.
Last year Open Doors 2019 attracted more than 6000 people to more than 290 sites, offices and factories throughout Great Britain, including Balfour Beatty’s Glasgow Queen Street Station redevelopment, and Willmott Dixon’s BIM Cave in Birmingham.
The current skills shortage in construction is one of the most pressing issues within the industry. Open Doors provides a fantastic opportunity to inspire and recruit the next generation and career changers to choose a career in construction.
Open Doors is delivered by Build UK in partnership with the Construction Industry Training Board (CITB), supported by industry partners the Considerate Constructors Scheme (CCS) and the Home Builders Federation (HBF), community partners the Careers & Enterprise Company (CEC) and the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), and media partner Construction News (CN).
Suzannah Nichol MBE, Build UK Chief Executive, said: “Whether someone is fresh out of school or considering a career change, a visit to a live construction site or workplace offers the industry a great chance to inspire a new generation of leaders. After the success of Open Doors 2019 we’re keen for the entire supply chain to get involved and showcase the breadth of challenging and rewarding careers the industry has to offer.”
Nick James – Strategic Partnership Director, CITB said: “Open Doors gives people the chance to visit a huge variety of construction sites around the country, where they can see for themselves the many fantastic careers available in our sector. CITB is proud to once again be a partner in this excellent initiative and I encourage companies to register their sites, so we can build on the huge success of the 2019 campaign”.
Notes to Editors
- Build UK is the leading representative organisation for the UK construction industry. By bringing together Clients, Main Contractors, Trade Associations representing over 11,500 Specialist Contractors and other organisations committed to industry collaboration, Build UK represents in excess of 40% of UK construction – BuildUK.org.
- To register your interest in participating in Open Doors, see the Open Doors website.
- To find out more about CITB, see the CITB website
- To find out more about the Considerate Constructors Scheme (CCS), see the CCS website.
- To find out more about Construction News, see the Construction News website.
- To find out more about the Home Builders Federation, see the HBF website.
- To find out more about the Careers & Enterprise Company, see the CEC website.
- To find out more about the DWP, see the DWP website.
- Twitter: @OpenDoorsWeek #opendoors20 #inspiringconstruction #loveconstruction