1 August 2018
Home Office launch an Employer Toolkit to support EU Workers
The Home Office has developed a employer toolkit to equip employers with the right tools and information to support EU citizens and their families on the EU Settlement Scheme. The toolkit contains leaflets, posters and a briefing pack to help employers across the UK communicate clear and consistent messages about the EU Settlement Scheme.
Key points of the toolkit include:
• Everyone has 2 years to change their status from under the EU treaty right, to the UK settlement scheme
• The application process will check three basic principles – identity, UK residence and criminality
• If you have been a resident for under 5 years, you will get a “pre-settled status” and once you have reached the 5 year threshold can apply for “settled status”
• There will be £65 fee to apply and £32.50 for children under 16
• Use existing government data to reduce the amount of evidence needed to be provided
• EU Nationals are able to provide a digital proof of work if requested by their employer
• EU treaty rights exist during implementation period which ends in July 2021
• Available to anyone who arrives before 31 December 2020, if they arrive after they will apply via the new UK immigration system.
The scheme will open fully by 30 March 2019 and an online application form will consist of three steps:
1. Verify proof of identity and nationality by scanning an EU passport or national identity card and uploading a photograph to verify
2. Confirm proof of residence in the UK by providing National Insurance number or other suitable documentation
3. Complete the criminality check by declaring criminal convictions.
Further information can be found here.