21 December 2017
CITB have made changes to the Site Safety Plus courses for 2018
CITB have made changes to the Site Safety Plus (SSP) courses and supporting publications for 2018.
These revisions only relate to the below courses currently. The remaining Site Safety Plus courses will be reviewed in turn from early 2018.
All of the supporting publications content has been reviewed and updated, where necessary, to ensure information reflects current legislation and good practice.
For the below courses, exam pass rates have been increased to 80% and delegates can re-sit on the day with a different exam paper.
Health and Safety Awareness (HAS) course changes
• Content includes new elements relating to mental health and environmental awareness
• HSA exam papers have been revised and now include 3 safety critical questions, which will need to be answered correctly by delegates to pass the exam
• At the end of the course an exam must be completed on the same day. This can either be the traditional exam paper or electronic HS&E Operatives test online. If a delegate is taking an electronic test on a different date to the course, the paper test will need to be taken on the day.
Site Supervisor Safety Training Scheme (SSSTS) course changes
• Content includes an element of stress and mental health awareness and environmental issues
• There is a scenario-based case study exercise for SSSTS including a method statement and risk assessment to test learning. This will be assessed via the trainer review alongside the new exam papers
• Revised exam papers include 4 safety critical questions which will need to be answered correctly by delegates to pass the exam. The papers also include new style questions as well as multiple choice, e.g. image questions and written question and answers.
Site Managers Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS) course changes
• Content includes stress and mental health awareness
• Revised exam papers include 5 safety critical questions which will need to be answered correctly by delegates to pass the exam. Papers are now 20 multiple choice and 5 written questions.
Directors Role for Health and Safety (DRHS) course changes
• The DRHS course has been completely reviewed and a 2-part scenario has been introduced, which will develop the director’s skills as well as producing an action plan taking steps to put things right on site
• An ‘action plan and skills matrix’ which will be developed around each delegates specific business needs – this will not be assessed but will provide them with something tangible to walk away with and work on to improve their own site/business
• Exam papers have been revised and updated
• A supporting mandatory publication has been introduced for the DRHS course
All of the SSP changes will come into effect from 2nd January 2018.
If you have any queries regarding the Site Safety Plus courses between December and January please contact CITB.
To buy the official publications click here.