18 December 2017
Build UK partner SimpleTax has given some top tips for Build UK members
SimpleTax has provided some top tips in the run up to Christmas to help Build UK members get ahead of the game before the self-assessment tax deadline of 31 January 2018.
1. Register for a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) by the 20th December if you need to fill in a tax return for the first time – read SimpleTax’s guide here
2. Make sure you’ve stopped paying National Insurance contributions if you’re still working beyond the state retirement age
4. Being a Build UK Member you can file your full self-assessment return for just £18.75
5. Don’t forget your books, periodicals and professional subscriptions including Build UK membership are deductible
6. Software packages including SimpleTax and computer equipment are deductible
7. Get your tax return done early so you can have a stress-free Christmas. Why wait? According to HMRC 1,944 people actually submitted their self-assessment tax return online on Christmas Day last year!
8. If you work from home don’t forget to claim a proportion of your household bills on your tax return – SimpleTax shows you how!
9. No more lost receipts, use the SimpleTax’s phone app to scan your receipts and invoices
10. Don’t miss the Self-Assessment deadline – filing after the 31st January incurs an automatic £100 fine.
Build UK members can receive a 25% discount on the software by using the code BUILDUK17. More information can be found here.