8 March 2017
Construction Industry Sector Deal
Andrew Wolstenholme, joint chair of the Construction Leadership Council (CLC), recently hosted an Industry Leaders’ Briefing Day.
A number of key announcements were made during the day including:
• The launch of the Technology Roadmap for UK Construction and National Infrastructure, in a development led by Infrastructure Industry Innovation Platform (i3P);
• Confirmation that Innovate UK has provided £250,000 of match funding for collaborative innovation in the sector, backing a similar level of pooled investment by 20 i3P members;
• A presentation of a joint submission to the Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund seeking £250 million of funding for a range of capital facilities and R&D programmes to drive industry innovation;
• Confirmation the Government and the CLC will support a reformed CITB;
• Confirmation of £300,000 funding from Innovate UK for the development of digital skills training plans in line with proposals developed by MTC and Digital Built Britain (DBB).
These developments highlight the collaborative efforts made by the construction industry to respond to the UK’s wider skills and productivity challenge.
Andrew Wolstenholme described how the CLC’s vision for industry change remains focused on three strategic outcomes – digital, manufacturing and performance. These outcomes will help to deliver more houses, cheaper energy and better public services and will be developed by three enablers which form the focus of the Industry Sector Deal:
• Procure for Better Value
• Industry-led Innovation
• Skills for the future.
Presentations were also given by Mike Chaldecott of Saint-Gobain, Nick Sumption of i3P, Mark Bew of Digital Built Britain, Neil Rawlinson of MTC and Sarah Beale of CITB demonstrating the extent of progress that has been made in these areas.
The CLC will continue to work with government and industry during the Autumn to develop the detail of the sector deal.
More information on the meeting can be found here.