8 January 2017
CITB Grant Scheme Changes
At a meeting of construction federations, CITB has outlined its proposals for a future grant scheme.
2017/18 Grant Year
The 2017/18 grant year will begin as normal on 1 August 2017 and will close on 31 March 2018 (four months earlier than the usual end date of 31 July). Employers will be able to submit a grant claim under the 2017/18 scheme until 30 June 2018. CITB has made this change to align the financial, grant and levy return years for clearer reporting.
Notable changes to the 2017/18 grant year include:
• Grant for higher apprenticeships (S/NVQ Level 4 upwards) will be introduced in September, in line with arrangements for apprenticeships at levels 2 and 3. The grant will consist of an attendance grant of £1,125 (paid quarterly) and £3,125 achievement grant.
• Trade Associations running Specialist Applied-skills Programmes (SAPs) and Specialist Upskilling Programmes (SUPs) will have their agreements extended until 31 March 2018.
2018/19 Grant Year
The 2018/19 grant year will run from 1 April 2018 – 31 March 2019. Notable changes to the 2018/19 grant year include:
• The introduction of grant payment for an industry-agreed list of generic and sector-specific training which will be available via approved training providers. Suitable training will be agreed with industry on an on-going basis via a new Training Course Advisory Forum
• A new Training Directory which will allow operatives to book industry-agreed training with approved training providers and receive automatic grant payment on completion of the course. The Directory would also link to a new National Register of training, which would detail an operative’s current training
• Supplementary grant will cease from 1 April 2018. The exception to this will be apprenticeships which have been signed up by 31 March 2018, which will continue to receive an extra 10% for the duration of the apprenticeship
• Training plans will cease from 1 April 2018 and only interim and final claims processed for payment prior to that date will attract a payment.
Build UK represents its members on the CITB Grant Scheme Rules Group. Further information will be distributed by CITB to employers in due course.