22 September 2015
2015 Ladder Exchange Launched
The 2015 Ladder Exchange is now running until 31 December 2015, allowing companies to exchange old and/or defective ladders for new ones at discounted rates. The annual campaign, which was established by the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) in 2007, champions safe ladder use and promotes the need to inspect and maintain ladders at regular intervals in accordance with current regulations.
Since its inception, the Ladder Exchange has resulted in thousands of potentially dangerous and unsafe ladders being taken out of service.
The Ladder Exchange offers a simple process for companies to replace their ladders:
1. Check your ladder using the checklist – any ladder which fails the check should be replaced
2. To replace a ladder, select a Ladder Exchange Partner
3. Exchange your old ladder for a new one at a discounted price. All Ladder Exchange partners sell ladders that are either BS 1129 part 1 or 2, BS 2037 part 1 or 2 or EN 131 accredited. Old ladders will be disposed of safely by the exchange partner.
Further information on the Ladder Exchange and safe ladder use can be found on the Ladder Association website.
The HSE also publishes Safe Use of Ladders and Stepladders – A Brief Guide providing information on:
• when it’s right to use a ladder
• how to select the right sort of ladder for the task
• how to use it safely
• how to maintain and look after it.